Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Visit with the "Talking Doctor"

This is what W calls the doctors in the neurological field. We had our first visit with the new shrink yesterday morning. The last psychologist we had took a very keen interest in trying to council me instead of W. She would ask that I come by myself and not even bring W! She would suggest idiotic things that told me instantly that she did not have children. She would say, “I want you to go into your room each day for 30 minutes and lock the door and read or meditate to regroup.” Lady are YOU crazy??? Do you know what W could do in 30 minutes a day of unsupervised play??? She did not seem to grasp that there is no one but me to take care of W. I don’t have people sitting around so I can “meditate”. Get real lady. W could get to Bessemer in 30 minutes if I did not watch his every move. He would be out that door like a shot in spite of the chain locks I have at the top of every door! Like an idiot I did this a few times and realized that she and I would never be on the same page. I left there each time feeling like a whipped pup.


Anywho, this doctor seemed very nice and interested in providing W some coping skills for his anxiety. There was probably a big red circle on my chart that said, “Look out! Bitchy mother with this one!!” But I don’t care as long as they help W.



W performed his quirks and squirms like a pro, hanging upside down off of the couch while we talked and interrupting the doctor every two minutes with concern that there were toys inside the play garage that clearly did not belong there and where do they go and who did this-let’s string them up on the line for putting the toys away improperly!!! When she asked W questions, he promptly went into W World and pretended not to hear her. So she got a pretty good idea about what we are dealing with.


All in all as good visit I think. We start therapy next Tuesday. She will either work wonders for him or he will irritate the hell out of her. -Time will tell!

1 comment: